YUMMY IN MY TUMMY: Azur International Buffet Dinner @ Crowne Plaza Hotel



Nothing gets more international than dining in an airport. So how amazing can the experience get if you're enjoying an international buffet in Crowne Plaza Changi Airport's award-winning restaurant? I tested the waters one fine evening.

THE RESTAURANT


 Azur is an all-day dining restaurant built around a show kitchen concept, with chefs presenting a lively cooking theatre at their live stations (see above) . The restaurant seats a maximum of 150 people, but also provides a 24-hour in-room dining service for hotel guests. I arrived soon after opening and was promptly seated. While waiting for the guests to arrive, I took in the surroundings and was greeted with some intricately-planned decor.







The restaurant evidently incorporates Asian elements in its contemporary design, making use of South East Asian tiles as wall fixtures. The lighting is reminiscent of a blanket of stars, providing a dim and cosy dining ambience for the patrons. 

THE MENU

The selection at Azur restaurant for its weekday dinner session quantity-wise is average, but the variety within is commendable -  I appreciate that our local cuisine shines amongst the international spread, offering a taste of Singapore for our foreign friends.

MEAT







Carnivorous customers should not have any problem dining here, as the selection of meats is fairly decent. Dishes I remember were on the menu are: Spiced Leg of Lamb, Boneless Chicken Leg, a beef dish and another rendition of chicken meat. I found myself returning to the meats when I couldn't think of what to take next, a choice I do not regret at all.

SEAFOOD







Just like the meats, the Seafood did not fail to disappoint. At the Fresh Seafood section we were greeted with favourites like Flower Crab, Mussels and Cold Prawn. Raw Oysters are also available in the weekend dinner option. In the Sashimi section, we had a choice of Salmon, Tuna and Octopus. The former was undoubtedly the favourite, and was always gone moments after being refilled. A quick suggestion here to refill the Sashimi in larger batches, as the servings are simply too small. In the Cooked Seafood area, we find fish and prawns cooked in many different ways. I liked in particular the black pepper fish dish, which was heavy on the palate but not the stomach. 

GREENS



A salad section is indispensible in a buffet restaurant, as it is usually the only green offered in the menu. As such, I place great emphasis to how well-stocked a salad bar is in a restaurant -  one job, they better do it well - though I myself do not patronise it as much. My verdict is that I am pleased with the salad bar, mainly because I like to see a special dressing/condiment apart from all the conventional ones. In this case, I liked the Honey Maple dressing as seen in the picture directly above (top right jar).


I also noticed one particular Vegetable Ragout in the menu, which in my opinion was rather unpalatable. Perhaps it is my aversion to the peculiar cream + vegetable combination (I'm not a big fan), but I would very much prefer simple blanched garden vegetables.

SOUPS AND SIDES











These days when I dine at buffet restaurants, I look forward mostly to the seafood, sides and desserts. The mains I don't take as much because I probably eat those on a daily basis, so the sides like cheese and sushi are what I prioritise. Azur has a good selection of cheese (both soft and hard), and personally I was very pleased because there was Brie and Blue Cheese, my favourite cheeses. I really like how the restaurant maintains its Asian identity by offering our local favourite crackers (fish, prawn and belinjau) , but the more outstanding ones were still the cheese, bread (self-explanatory) and soup. Like most restaurants, Azur offers two types of soups. That evening, Cream of Pumpkin and a broth (I forgot what) was served.

DESSERTS






Observing the layout of the restaurant, it is evident that Azur takes pride in its dessert - an entire stand-alone counter is reserved for just that! The official photos taken by the management reflect this sense of gusto:





Objectively, the dessert spread was similar to what is shown above, albeit the glamour factor falling short in contrast to the amazing photos taken. My dinner companions and I had a fulfilling time 'designing' our own dessert dish by combining ice cream, cakes and jellies. Once again, the food was great but it is the company that really shines through.

~

Azur restaurant being in the Far East, may not necessarily be the most ideal dinner place for many Singaporeans, but the takeaway is that if you happen to be in the area and looking for a satisfying dinner where you can relax and chill out with friends, Azur is the place for you. It is by far the best buffet place (value-wise) I can find in the East area!

AZUR Restaurant, Crowne Plaza Hotel
Website
[click here]

Facebook Page[click here]
Address: 2nd Level, 75 Airport Boulevard
Nearest StationChangi Airport
Opening HoursAla Carte - 0600-2200 ; Buffet Breakfast Monday-Friday 0600-1030, Saturday-Sunday 0600-1100 ; Buffet Lunch Monday-Friday 1200-1430 ; Buffet Brunch Saturday-Sunday 1230-1500 ; Buffet Dinner Monday-Sunday 1800-2200
Contact Number: 6823 5354

PROMOTION: 
- Azur is now holding a GSS promotion, where you can enjoy a one-for-one dinner buffet promotion from Sundays to Thursdays till 14th August 2016. Call the restaurant at the number provided above and quote 'GSS Special' to redeem the promotion. Terms and Conditions available in the original Facebook post, here!
Azur is now holding an Express Lunch promotion, where you pay $15 to enjoy a main course, complete with all-you-can-eat soup and salad bar! The special is available Mondays to Fridays, 12pm to 2pm. More details are available here, where you can also peruse the daily menu!

teeseirelav

Wherefore art thou...?

No comments:

Post a Comment