Graduation and Prom

Kisses for everyone I've met in SJII 
I've finally graduated!

Not that 'finally' denotes exasperation and a desire to quickly leave SJII -  but ever since I left Anglican in 2013 I'd always wondered how fast time might pass by until the time came for me to enroll into University. And now, that time has come. University applications, scholarship nominations... There is just so much to do (as has always been throughout 2015) but now that these logistics take first priority following the end of IB, the reality of the situation is far more obvious than it has ever been in my life: University, next stop.

*incessant rumination ahead!*

I know it's almost been a week since the actual graduation ceremony, but 'graduation' to me right here and right now refers to emotional graduation, where I finally (yet again) feel the finality of my journey in SJII. And that is why I only feel like I've truly graduated last night after prom ended. 
Or not.

Sitting in my bedroom typing out this post, I feel like I have yet to fully realise the fact that I won't be seeing my friends in SJII anymore. Of course there will be the closer clique of peeps with whom I will hang out regularly in the years to come, but somewhere around the campus I find scattered friendships that have failed to fully blossom into its maximum potential; friendships that I would love to maintain but will be extremely hard to given that we will no longer see each other on a regular basis. It's funny how I can logically and systemically think about this, yet not appreciate its meaning on an emotional level. My heart is heavy!

I genuinely feel that the friendships I have forged in SJII are so precious to me, and every day, conversation and outing with my close friends brings me so much joy in my life. I guess it is because of this that I am unable to respond appropriately to grad ceremony and prom night. Let me put it like this: as long as I am with my friends, it feels like we are hanging out and just doing things we love together, be it studying, graduating, or sitting down for dinner in a posh hotel ballroom in the name of celebrating the end of IB... In my previous school, events like graduation and prom are customary, but I've never seen a school that reveres and respects these formal occasions as much as SJII does. So while I am physically present in the school hall during graduation, something in my mind just does not acknowledge the 'severity' of the situation because it just feels to me like another day in school - maybe a little more important than usual -  and as a result I fail to understand that I am leaving SJII for real. 

Speaking of SJII's 'grad ceremony game', here is a photo I snapped of the paraphernalia found last Saturday.



From the emblem to the alumni card, to the silver emboss... You can really tell SJII places a lot of emphasis on presentation and the formality of an occasion like this. It's heartwarming because the class of 2015 feels truly appreciated and important in the eyes of our new alma mater.

At the same time the school also decided to keep up with us teenagers and engaged a photobooth service, much to our delight.



This was the only photo we managed to take before we were ushered away to accommodate the throngs of student and parents queuing up for a picture. Of course, I managed to smuggle my parents in for a second shot that I ever-so-kindly requested from the staff.



So... Do I look more like my mom or dad? Growing up I've always looked like my father, but as I progressed into teenage years relatives started commenting that I look more and more like my mother. It's all about the balance!

I can't be more grateful for my parents and how they nurtured me into the Valerie I am today - if not for them, I would be the Valerie of yesterday <-- witty joke my dad cracked after reading my parents' affirmation letter. Think that's where I got my sarcasm from...

Fast forward four days, and it is Prom Day! During the IB examination period, whatever free time I had managed to squeeze out became 'Prom Time' when I would plan my makeup and accessories because I had never been to prom before; I skipped the one in AHS. Somewhere inside me I was intensely excited also primarily because it would be a fun night with my closest friends!

True enough, we booked a room for the night and stayed up till 6am talking nonsense and doing god knows what. Sleep deprived as I am, adrenaline still seems to be coursing through my veins because I am still awake - widely awake - after hours of staying up!

During prom Amanda and I had our eyes set on the photobooth the entire night (leaving occasionally to stare at the delicious food prepared by Four Seasons) so every free time we could steal, we ran out to queue because we were not the only ones who wanted our happiness to be captured in high definition.







Of course, not all of us had the privilege of abusing the photobooth (though we did to a certain extent) so most of the pictures we took thereafter were using our phones. I guess this calls for the cliche 'low quality photo high quality friendship' description. Tacky, but apt.


Cordibae 
Note how my arm looks gigantic here... This is not a phrase I use at all but 'FML' because that's what Cordi would say if she were me. That said, this girl probably does not have anything to say 'FML' to in this picture because she looks absolutely stunning! Her hair is to kill for, and her dress... Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if a man picks her up and weds her in the adjacent ballroom.


Shupooooo
This is that one girl who makes me go 'Why am I even standing beside her' because her beauty and talent is amazing. That said, the latter is more of unexplored boundary but my countless of interactions with her reveal to me that she is so much more than just a pretty face - and just like me we are both cheapos who shop on Taobao and dye our hair using box dye just cause. SJII would have been totally different without her and if she does not keep in contact with me you can bet that I'll visit her late into the night and cut off that beautiful mane of hers (oops #rabid #nevermindcanbuywigontaobao)

Katelyn!!


I don't like my face here but I'll use it because it's the clearest DSLR photo we have and Kate, you deserve it! I've said this hundreds of times but I'll say it again because I still cannot get over how we managed to get so close even though we had no classes together. This friendship is so littered with insults but it is at the same time so precious to me! And it also thanks to a random conversation with her that I got so emotional and decided to write about Graduation and Prom. Thanks Katelyn - you're a blog saver!

Charis!
Okay, I lied about the low quality picture part. Many, if not most of the pictures here were taken by skillful Amanda and her trusty DSLR, so I guess we have high quality pictures to complement high quality friendships! Charis and I only bonded towards the end of this year, but the friendship we managed to forge in such a short time is truly amazing and I am glad we became close :)

Simren the gorgeous one
Let me just be a valley girl and say 'I literally can't even' - because look at her face! Our valedictorian exudes confidence and elegance like no other. I'm definitely going to miss this pretty face and smart brain during TOK classes, if I haven't already started missing her *cue the question 'How do you know you miss someone?'*

Abi <3
My face looks larger than the Earth here but I don't think it will ever be larger than that heart of Abigail's. I'm deeply honoured to be her friend because it is rare that you come across someone so humble, honest, and hardworking. Gotta love this girl!

Manda Panda
Sun Salutation with this one! Like with Charis I think Amanda and I only got closer recently, even though we had embarked on Challenge Week together last year. She's such a kind soul with a heart for animals and the environment - people like her are the reason we continue to hold faith in humanity.

SRa Girls!
 How can I ever forget Ms Rao? I remember being extremely apprehensive when the second semester started in 2014 because I was not sure if I would like the new tutor - What if she's racist? What if she's a hormonal-moodswings kind of lady? What if she didn't like me? But all the concerns were addressed the first day she came in, and ever since Ms Rao was been the most motherly and kindly teacher I have ever seen in my entire life.



And nope, I will not forget Mrs Lee either. Although she was never my subject teacher, I learnt a lot from her while she supervised me for my Chemistry EE - and while superficially she passes on academic knowledge, at the same time she expresses her worldly views on sophisticated topics and she has truly been a great inspiration to me. And can I also say that that smile of hers is such a charmer? She's the epitome of a successful woman who knocks men off their feet.

I don't have the time to dedicate a short paragraph to the rest of my friends, but here are the photos we took anyway because you all matter to me!

Queen Elsa
Nat V! Chinky eyes here

Yvette!
Ryannnnnn 

Selfies we took here and there in between programmes:









Le and Sabrina - I will miss you two!

Girls being girls, we also had a mini photo taking session after Prom at the stairway. The results?










And suddenly Shu is a super model.





#ootn

I'll have to admit that these two years in SJII have changed me drastically. While I became more vain, learning to put on makeup and generally taking better care of my body, I also became more 'ugly' in the sense that the unglam side of me started to show more often, and willingly. Being with this bunch of lovely friends taught me how to love myself - strengths and flaws included. I never would have imagined doing the pedo face ever so often in front of my friends, and being crazy when I needed some release. Basically, with them I am myself and I have SJII to thank for that.

I think as I end this post I am gradually coming to terms with the realisation that my journey with SJII has ended, but I think I will never let go until the 5th of Jan when I step into school, hopefully not for the last time, to collect my IB result slip. But until then, there is so much to be grateful for. I'm going to Malacca tomorrow for a day trip, and I will be flying off to Taiwan on Sunday with my sisters for the month. I hope I will be able to do up some posts, and when I come back I look forward to sharing my experiences with my friends over a steamboat reunion or Christmas gift exchange.

Till then, it's time to visit the sandman because he obviously isn't going to come to me tonight.

xoxo
Valerie

teeseirelav

Wherefore art thou...?

No comments:

Post a Comment